Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Juiced Up


Valentine's Day got me thinking about guilty pleasures. I thought I could write about chocolate and all the healthy antioxidants dark chocolate contains - you know, the same article written every February to make us not feel so bad ourselves when we eat too much chocolate. But I'm not that into chocolate. I'm more into infomercials. It's kind of ridiculous but in my defense, I come home from work around 4 AM and there is nothing else on TV. I spend my nights off learning all sorts of ways to improve my life...achieving super soft and healthy hair, making my natural curls look fabulous (my hair isn't curly so theoretically this product could never work for me), a little airbrush that sprays my makeup on and makes me look like a model, and my most recent favorite - Jack LaLanne's Power Juicer Pro!

This sweet juicer puts out 30% more juice than juicers you'd find in stores and you can throw whole fruits and veggies into the machine and get juice in seconds - no peeling or chopping required. I can have a glass of juice in the morning that include all 9 servings of fruits and vegetables that I'm supposed to have everyday (I probably hit about 1, currently). I'm SUPER excited at this point and ready to start my 5 easy payments of $29.99 when I realize...that's like a 5 dollar juice drink. At least. I don't even like juice that much. I really like Egg McMuffins. They're a dollar. Hmm. That's a lot of money and a lot of grocery shopping but it's also a lot of healthy stuff that I wouldn't normally eat - so is it an investment or a rip off?

It's a tough question. I mean, if I don't go out and buy tons of fruits and vegetables to eat everyday now, will I do it once I have a juicer? But I need to make a change in the amount of fresh fruits and veggies I eat so I have to do something.

For the sake of not make this a crappy blog entry, leaving my 5 faithful readers feeling empty and without answers, I braved the snow tonight to drive to HyVee to pick up new Sunkist Naturals smoothie. They're cheaper than Naked drinks ($2.77 but HyVee is a total rip and I'm hoping they're less at Walmart) and their stats are IMPRESSIVE. I went for the "Glorious Greens" and half of the bottle is 140 calories, 3 grams of fiber, 2 grams of protein, and has about 15 different vitamins and minerals. I was even more impressed with the ingredients: apples, bananas, mangos, pineapples, kiwi, broccoli, wheat grass, barley grass, oat grass, flax seed, and a bunch of other weird good-for-you stuff. Taste verdict: delish. Much sweeter than I thought and while I would prefer a glass of plain orange juice, I think you can only do so much to make wheat grass taste good and it's make me feel super healthy so I'm happy. I'm planning on trying all the flavors and my next mission is to find out how many servings of fruit and veggies I'm getting in each bottle - stay tuned.

I think I'm going to hold off on the juicer for now and see how these store bought juices go. But I'd love some input. If I'm ever feeling weak and break down to buy one...I'll be sure to let everyone know. Now back to Sheer Cover mineral make-up.

2 comments:

  1. I feel compelled to comment of the juicer ... I have one that I received as a gift from my parents about 2 years ago. I had wanted it SO badly. I had TONS of fun with it for the first month. And it really is amazing - you can toss whole pieces of fruit in there and it just makes juice. Downside = it's a slight pain to clean and you def have to go to the grocery store every time you want juice ... so yea. Maybe if I had a "do over" in regards to the gift I received, I would have voted for 100 free bottles of pre-made juice like a Naked or SunKist. You wanna borrow my juicer Mhan? You can use it anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can re-gift it for my wedding, how about that? : ) Thanks for the input though, I think I've officially decided that I can't afford it right now.

    ReplyDelete